Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment which helps in straightening your teeth using aligners which are not visible. Compared to regular braces, invisalign option gives you more comfort in terms of usage and convenient way to straighten your teeth. You need to wear them till your treatment is complete to get the desired results. Depending on the need doctor’s will recommend the duration you have to wear your aligners. Most of the time you are advised to wear it round the clock except brushing or eating or say at least for 20-22 hours in a day.
This means you need to take extra care of aligners for your oral hygiene. It is simple and easy, it’s like how you take care of your teeth every day by brushing and rinsing your mouth.
Few guidelines to take care of Invisalign aligners:
- Keep it clean – There are different ways to clean the aligners, you can use cleaning products or the Invisalign cleaning kits/crystals or just follow simple home methods to clean. If you are using any cleaning products or solutions, ensure you follow the instructions given. In case of you want to follow the easy home method, soak it and clean it in a denture cleaner or clean it using a brush and then rinse it in lukewarm water. Do not use hot water and any strong chemical or abrasive as it can scratch the surface making it a plaque attractant.
- Storage – Always store the extra aligners your doctor gave you in a cool and dry place away from heat and dust and pets.
- Remove aligners while eating – Do not consume food or have hot beverages when you are wearing your aligners. Heat can cause damage and food particles get stuck in between the teeth and aligners, which can lead to tooth decay.
- Avoid chewing gum, this can damage the aligners and it is impossible to clean them after that. Always remove the aligners if you wish to chew gum.
- Avoid cleaning using harsh cleaning solutions, do not put them in dishwasher, and also avoid mouthwash liquid to clean them. They can get stained.
- If you opt to use the cleaning products then you must take necessary caution and follow the instructions given to avoid any damage. You may use Retainer brite solution to keep the aligners clean and nice.
- Check for damage – Ensure you follow the instructions given by your orthodontist and bring it to the notice of your doctor in case you notice any damage.
Since the aligners are easily removable, you can choose to remove them on important occasions. It is very important to know how to take care of invisalign trays, clean them and wear them. This will ensure they serve the purpose and your treatment is effective. Keeping your aligners clean and odor free will prevent any damage to your teeth and gums. It will ensure your teeth and gums stay healthy and your smile becomes attractive and all that you ever dreamt of.